A large stately conifer with delicatly textured foliage .
The soft feathery foliage and strongly pyramidal shape make for a superb specimen tree. A great tree for large spaces such as parks, estates and large lawns. Outstanding when planted in groves and allee’s. Fall color is stunning. Its rapid growth rate is desirable for screening and creating shade in newly planted landscapes.
- Bright green soft feathery or fern like foliage.
- Develops a strong pyramidal shape.
- Fall color is an attractive reddish-bronze to orange brown color. Loses its needles in winter.
- Develops a large fluted, buttressed trunk with age.
- Zone 4 to 8
- Grows 70 to 100 ft Tall x 20 to 30ft Wide.
- Rapid growth rate, 2 to 3 ft per year, 15 to 25 ft in 10 years.
- Grows best on deep moist well drained soils.
- Adaptable to drier sites and moist conditions once established.
- Prefers acid soils below pH 7.
- Native to China. Was nearly extinct in the wild, but has since been widely propagated and planted.