Valuable native wildlife shrub for foliage and nuts. Plant in mixed shrub border, in deer resistant plantings, woodland gardens and naturalized plantings. Works well as a natural hedge or wind break.
- Attractive pest free foliage.
- Foliage is semi-resistant to deer browsing.
- Nuts and flower catkins provide winter interest.
- Nutritious edible nuts ½” diameter.
- Edible nuts provide high energy food for small mammals and birds in fall, such as grouse, turkey and Blue jays.
- Growth habit provides critical cover in the woodland understory providing nesting and resting cover.
- Zone 4 to 8
- Multi-stemmed shrub grows to 6-10ft Tall x 6-8ft Wide.
- Adaptable to varied soil conditions including acid to neutral pH soils.
- Will grow in dense shade to full sun.
- Spreads by root suckers forming colonies.
- Transplant as container grown plant.
- Native from Quebec south to Georgia